1 CAR SPACE
Lindsay Douglas, Dig Design.
Located in the inner west suburb of Yarraville the client had a dilapidated weatherboard home on a very narrow block. The existing house was very run down and dark. The form of the additions was generated in order to maximise access to natural light.
Courtyards allow for large glazed operable walls bringing light into the narrow site, elegant contemporary courtyard gardens borrow Japanese references without mimicking Japanese style.
A contemporary take on the sawtooth roof form allows for northern sun to every living space.
Distinctly Australian materials of spotted gum cladding, blackbutt floors, bluestone paving and copper features have been used in conjunction with an interior palette referencing Japanese design featuring black, oak, concrete and marble to perfectly blend two cultures.
The creation of nooks throughout the house provide areas of solace within communal spaces.
Japanese aesthetics lend a zenlike tranquility of Japanese minimalism, low-maintenance seasonal gardens and Australian natural elements create a fusion of cultures that was intentional, meaningful & functional.
Agnes Street frontage lights up over the day displaying seasonal colours to come home to.
A love of colour
Borrowing natural north light helped create minimalistic, light-filled spaces facing out to various gardens like the courtyard which includes Australian garden plants & rocks with a Japanese maple leading the eye onto ornamental grape vines that twist & find their own path.
As seasons change we wanted to bring the outside inside & fill spaces with all the lush green that surrounded us. There are unique and one-of-a-kind details that utilise different materials that make it feel modern like the copper cladding that will naturally patina over time.
We wanted a home that included all of the family, from those visiting from overseas to our fur family living with us.
Taking full advantage of the north facing block, the high windows keep us warmer in winter, and sliding doors to outside to keep cool in summer.
- Expansive open plan kitchen, lounge/dining zone that’s flooded with north facing sunlight through floor to ceiling windows
- Main bedroom with walk in robe leading into substantial ensuite with luxurious bath
- The separately zoned 4th bedroom with ensuite could be used for multi-generational living or as a separate studio
- Serene, established, low maintenance gardens with a solar heated pool and multiple outdoor dining spaces
- Instant sense and feel of comfort as the owner’s brief was to enjoy living in the home through all seasons
- Dedicated study area with separate side entry for clients with views to garden aspects and light filled casual reading zone
- Mood lighting, ample storage with access to an attic, security with cameras and remote locked front gate with intercom
- High end fixtures include copper external cladding, Tasmanian Oak flooring, polished concrete flooring in the 4th bedroom and stone kitchen benchtops
- Dedicated dog wash area at the rear of the home
- Short walk to great schools, Seddon and Yarraville villages and quick public transport access into the CBD
- Undercover off-street parking via ROW